Each year Gertrude
Press publishes our winning chapbooks, each judged by prestigious writers. These beautiful,
perfect bound books include a unique cover in a limited press run. The winners
of our annual contest will also receive $200 and 25 copies.
This year our Fiction Chapbook Contest judge is is Kate Carroll de Gutes, whose book OBJECTS IN THE MIRROR ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR won the 2016 Oregon Book Award for Creative Nonfiction and a 2016 Lambda Literary Award in Memoir. Kate is a wry observer and writer who started her career as a journalist and then got excited by new journalism, which became creative nonfiction and is now called essay (personal, lyric, and otherwise). Her second book, THE AUTHENTICITY EXPERIMENT: LESSONS FROM THE BEST & WORST YEAR OF MY LIFE, will be released from Two Sylvias Press in September 2017. You can learn more about Kate at www.katecarrolldegutes.com.
Thank you for submitting!
* Submit 8500-10000 words of short creative non-fiction (essays or short work or an excerpt).
* Submissions must be in 12pt font and double-spaced.
* Indicate which selections have been previously published and by whom. Unpublished pieces are welcome.
* Fiction may be of any subject matter and writers from all backgrounds are encouraged to submit.
* Contest is blind judged. Please DO NOT include any identifying information on your manuscript.
* Indicate how you learned of the contest in your cover letter.
* $17 Online Submission Fee
* Submissions accepted June 15 - September 15, 2017.